Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Cinderalla Anyone?


Lookie what I made.

Before we went to Disneyland I showed my child #1 a video on Disneyland.com so she would know ahead of time where we were going ( I told her we were going to Disneyland and she looked at me weird because she had no idea what I was talking about and I wanted her to be excited about it). The beginning of the video showed a little girls dressed up like Cinderella, hugging Cinderella. She goes, " Oh, mommy I want to wear a Cinderella dress and hug Cinderella". So of course I had to say, "Okay, I'll make you a Cinderella dress", knowing full well that I didn't have a clue where to begin. But 5 days before we left on our trip I got up the gumption to take her measurements and draft out a pattern.

I'm a stinker about all the dresses you see in stores (and even on the characters at Disneyland for that matter) not actually looking like the dress does in the movie. It drives me crazy, I can't stand it. First of all they have the color all wrong, it's always done in way to dark of a blue (regarding Cinderella). Then there's all the added "bling". Embroidery and diamonds that were never there in the original, and don't even get me started on the sleeves. Too late I'm already there, she didn't have classic puff sleeves they were more of a puffed cap sleeve, why can't anyone get her sleeves right.

Cinderellas dress was so elegantly simple and that's what I wanted for mine

 um

oh

I mean

hers

my daughters,

It's for her, not me.

Anyway, moving on, so I studied screen shots from the original movie until I had it just right in my head. Though taking way too much time in preparing left me with only 3 day to actually make the dress. I didn't get it done quickly enough to make a petticoat for it so we slipped a tutu skirt underneath to "make it big" as my daughter calls it. I also forgot to take into account the overlap in the back for the buttons and holes so I ended up putting in loops for the buttons which resulted in a gap in the back. It's certainly not perfect but she loves it and I learned a lot about dressmaking - mostly that I really enjoy it. The next one will be even better. Oh, I also didn't make the lovely long gloves and she didn't want her hair done up, which was good because it kept her neck and back from getting a sun burn and it was so hot she wouldn't have worn the gloves even if she had them.

I've since been coerced  into making her a dress for all of the Disney princesses. She'll probably be around 16 when she finally has them all. So without further ado and senseless rambling here it is.

                                                               The Cinderella Dress.


We were lucky to have spotted the Fairy God-Mother and got a picture with her. She was super sweet. Loved her.



No comments:

Post a Comment